Paradise is always where love dwells.
Jean Paul Richter
History of Babb's Beach & Rink
Beginning in the late 1890s, the Babb family operated a summer lake resort on the shores of Lake Congamond. The current roller skating rink was built circa 1930 as a dance hall and hosted well-known musicians during the Big Band era. In 1977, the family donated the approximately 7 acre property to the Town of Suffield. Nelson Babb had a life-use and continued to operate the skating rink until 1996. Babb's Beach was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 21, 2006. In 2016, the Town made extensive improvements and officially reopened the park and beach to the public in 2017.
On October 31, 2003 the Town entered into a four-year lease with four extension periods with Citizens Restoring Congamond (CRC). CRC agreed to utilize its non-profit status to conduct fundraising and restore the 11,000 s.f. building as a roller skating rink. The Town received a $100,000 Small Town Economic Assistance Program (STEAP) grant from the State of Connecticut to help with the restoration. Continued restoration of the rink building is contingent upon additional funding.