In response to Connecticut DEEP requirements, in 2004 the Town Engineering Department obtained a Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4) Permit, developed a Stormwater Management Plan and subsequently submitted annual reports summarizing activities undertaken in conformance with the plan. The Stormwater Management Plan indicated best management practices for the following six required minimum control measures:
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement/Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
While the initial duration of the MS4 Permit was 2004 - 2009, the program continued in its initial form until DEEP developed revisions to increase program requirements by 2017. In response, the Town, working with a consultant, obtained a new permit registration and Stormwater Management Plan by April 2017. The expanded scope of the new requirements requires the Town to continue using the consulting firm to plan and coordinate activities through the 2017-2022 permit period.