October 1, 2018 Mill Rate: 28.72
($28.72/ $1,000 of net assessed value)
for July 2019 and January 2020 tax bills
Population Estimate 2010: 14,387
Area: 43.1 square miles
Assessment Ratio: 70%
Assessment Date: October 1st for the following fiscal year
Filing Deadline for Personal Property: November 1st
Completion of Grand List: January 31st
Date of last revaluation: October 1,2018
Next scheduled revaluation: October 1, 2023
The equalization of property values by estimating the current market value of all property in Town.
- Review new assessment data with inquiry access to Assessor's database.
- Includes value summary, building data, photo, and general revaluation information.
- Information regarding revaluation process and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Submit general questions and receive feedback.
Motor Vehicle Adjustments
- Bring proof to Assessor's office.
- Acceptable types of proof:
- Plate receipt with affidavit
- Bill of Sale
- Letter from insurance company showing date and reason for change
- Out-of-state Registration
- Use Suffield 139 for town tax code on registration to prevent being taxed by wrong town.
- Discuss with Assessor's office
- No appointment necessary
- Board of Assessment Appeals
- File written application for hearing on or before February 20th
- BAA Appeals Application
- Superior Court
- Appeals of BAA decision to Superior Court must be made within 2 months of notice
Personal Property Declarations
All owners of taxable business personal property are required to file declarations of such property with Assessor of Town where property is located on October 1, 2019 assessment date. This declaration is due to Assessor’s Office by November 1, 2019. Failure to declare will result in a 25% penalty.
New for 2019, Personal Property Declarations are now accepted online!
- Instructions for online filing found by clicking here
- Use link below to access online filing page
- Link available September 30th - December 15th
- Applicants must register for account with access code provided in Personal Property Declaration mailed to business owners
- Contact the Assessor's office if form/code not available
Items to be declared:
- Non-registered motor vehicles
- Snowmobiles, and trailers
- Horses and ponies not used in farming
- Business furniture and fixtures
- Farming machinery and tools
- Mechanics tools
- Electronic data processing equipment
- Leased equipment
- All in-home businesses must declare personal property
Items which do NOT need to be declared:
- Real estate
- Registered motor vehicles
All applications must be filed with the Assessor between September 1st and October 31st.
- Farm Equipment Exemption Application must be notarized and filed by November 1st
- Forest (25+ acres):
- Certified by State Forester before October 1st
Due to the number and complexity of exmptions, the following is intended only to provide a general idea of what is available. Please call the Assessor's office to discuss eligibility, details, and to submit an application.
- Crumbling Foundation
- Elderly Homeowners
- Active Duty Motor Vehicle
- Totally Disabled
- Specially Equipped Vehicle
Active Duty Motor Vehicle Exemption
- Available to active duty military personnel
- Includes National Guard
- One vehicle exempted by application
- Military ID required
- Apply in Assessor's office
Active Duty Non-Resident Motor Vehicle Exemption
- Available to non-residents serving in Connecticut due to military orders
- Exempt from motor vehicle taxes
- Annual application by October 1